Monday, November 17, 2008

Postmodernism?

I realize that the push is for practical answers to Trevor's question, but first let me talk about postmodernism for a second.

I don't think I see postmodernism in the same way as Colin. I guess there is that aspect which includes the rejection of one over-arching belief that governs all cultures, all people, but I'm not sure that's even the case anymore. I think postmodernism has lost that overt feature and turned to a sort of pluralistic humanism. But that's a term we don't need to get into.

I think there are some great things about our times we would do well to integrate without selling the farm for:

Ecological concern: Genesis had the inconvenient truth way before Gore.

Social concern: Isaiah had it a long time ago, and more extreme than many have dared.

Community and dialogue: Better and more appropriate ends than personal piety and isolated and presumptuous certainty.

Future-orientation: We are working toward something, longing for something.

Suspicion of power and the always potentially manipulative nature of language: Let's not play those games.

Even the loss of "metanarrative": While I agree with Colin that it would be un-Christian to let go of the idea of an over-arching "story", there is still something refreshing about the postmodern realization that this story does not begin and end with the "development" of the Western world. There are many facets to this over-arching Christian story. The Triune God likes diversity in unity.

In the end, what do I think the postmodern Christian looks like in action? In the areas Trevor referred to, if we could be more like the ancient one would be fine by me.

Devotions? Back in the day they didn't have their own Bibles. They read the Bible together. We have our own Bibles now, great, but we should still read them together. Bring your insights from personal "devotions" and prayer, but bring them together. Talk about them on the streets, in the church. For God's sake let's talk about the Bible again in the church.

Prayer? That's a tough one. I'm still working on prayer. I like the Lord's Prayer and I value thanks and confession. That's about all I got.

Missions? I think evangelicals are pretty good at this. I don't like that altar call based mission, which is all about the hit and run for the quick conversion prayer, but plenty of evangelicals past and present have transcended that and I think this is a strength that bears continuing. Plenty of organizations combine social gospel with spoken gospel and that's great.

Living around 'non Christians'? I'm all for it. Enough hiding and sheltering. Get in there. Don't even be too sure you've got your label right either. Talk with people about life. What matters. Expect to hear from the Spirit at work around you. Love. Live. Don't pretend to be something you are not. Lament with people. Discuss the hope you hold. Apologize when you suck. Forgive. Seek to be an ambassador of reconciliation, not your own righteousness. Period.

2 comments:

Colin Toffelmire said...

Beautiful. I'm gonna post my own thing, but after this and Tara's post it will essentially be redundant.

Tarasview said...

I love the "selling the farm" reference. It is so true. My grandma would often say "well, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" and I think that is what we need to remember.

I also love your view on devotions. I had never really thought about that. I SOOOO agree.