Wednesday, October 22, 2008

This is Jon

I say this with fear and trembling: I'm not entirely sure I would be a Christian today if not for spending thousands and thousands of dollars to get a theological education, thus discovering Christianity to more relevant, life-giving, complex, beautiful, intellectual, and communal than I had ever realized.

I'm not trying to make a statement with that, I'm just saying that's my story. I'm not trying to say the evangelical churches I grew up in never had any of that, I'm just saying I never caught much wind of it (and still don't very often). I'm not saying I have my own theological education to thank for my faith (as if it is mine in some way), I'm just saying that key professors and authors have been the part of the church which God has graciously used to keep me. I think this does speak to a problem in evangelicalism, but we'll get to that later I'm sure.

Reading Robert Webber's Younger Evangelicals a couple years ago I realized that being born in '75 put me between generations---and this explained to me why I've always felt tugged in two directions at once. It has never been incredibly difficult for me to join in on the postmodern critique of modernity; the Gen-X critique of Boomers; the emergent critique of the seeker-service; and so on. Whatever you want to call it, I feel it in my bones.

But it isn't so easy: I am just as suspicious of my critique as I am of the one I critique. I am postmodern enough to believe that it isn't so black and white as all that---as if modernity is all bad and postmodernity all good; as if my generation will be able to right the wrongs of evangelicalism past without in turn bringing new and even worse wrongs to evangelicalism future; as if we are the enlightened ones whose first step ought to be to shrug off the lies and errors of our fathers. Uh-uh. I'm with Elijah: My ancestors may have had some problems, but the harder I try to fix them the more I discover that I am no better than my ancestors. We've seen generation after generation err by over-reacting to the one before. Too many babies have been thrown out with the bathwater. The errors of today's evangelicalism are the over-reactions to the evangelicalism which preceded.

But lest this become a rant instead of an introduction, let me give a couple anecdotes from my life that illustrate why I look at it this way.

When I was a boy of 12 I was for the first time listening to rock music on my headphones---and it was so good. I was loving it. I had never really heard to anything like it and new vistas of experience were opening on my horizon.

But all the time I listened I was full of this debilitating and deathly fear that I'd be found out for being so rebellious; I'd be in huge trouble for brushing the dark side---and this new world of music that had just opened up in front of me would be taken away by my parents forever.

Then one day it happened: I was listening to this music and my Mom was trying to talk to me. I couldn't hear. She spoke louder to get my attention. When I noticed I thought my time had come. I was busted. I don't recall exactly but I think I burst into tears. Turned out she was just telling me we had to go somewhere. That's all. She couldn't understand what I was so fearful of. What she and I both didn't realize, I think, was what a hold guilt and fear had on my young Christian heart. I felt guilty for pretty much everything and I was afraid of even more.

Now here's the crazy thing: The music was Micheal W. Smith! And my parents had not only overseen the purchase of the cassette but had given me the walkman! Why was I afraid? For the life of me I can't figure it out except to say that the fear (and guilt) that I felt crippling me growing up was part and parcel of the evangelical air I breathed.

I'm not going to try to say that guilt and fear don't have their place, but they are not the beating heart of the faith. Something went seriously wrong in my corner of the 2oth century evangelical world and many like me have not survived it. I am thankful that by the grace of God somehow the faith still has a hold of me, but at times it has been barely. Eventually the icy grip of guilt and fear squeezes the life out of it and you either run for cover or you find that there is something deeper to the faith.

This may sound like therapy, but so be it. One more anecdote: In grade 7 the San Francisco earthquake happened right before my eyes while I watched TV. Given my upbringing I was fairly certain the rapture was about to happen any moment. Unexpectedly, I became very afraid of being raptured. I did not want to go to heaven. I did not want to go to hell, either, don't get me wrong, but all I could think of when I thought of heaven was this eternal extension of my current experience. At the time I did not appreciate things like love and grace and peace and reconciliation and hope. Those things had certainly been taught in church but I didn't hear them.
I had heard about the slippery slope though. And it certainly kept me out of trouble. Something good might still be said about it. I had heard conviction of sin. And it certainly led me to Jesus. Something good might still be said about that too. I had heard all about the end-times. It certainly made me aware of the urgency of life, and something good might still be said about it as well, but beneath them I had nothing but a gaping hole where Jesus (and Christian community)ought to have been thriving but was breathing for air.

Here I was petrified of heaven because all I could picture was me sitting alone in a crowded church feeling completelly out of the loop . . . for ever. I was beside myself. I really was. Few things are as frightening in my memory as that time of my life.

What got me through was my dad praying with me. Notice that? I had the evangelicalism of my ancestors partly to blame for the trouble I was in, but I also had my living breathing ancestor to thank for leading me in Christian communion to engage the Jesus somewhere behind it all.

20 years later I am still working through all of this. My church upbringing is something I have become very thankful for. But it is also something I want to build on. Hopefully little conversation groups like this one can be some good therapy---I mean edification.

I doubt that ours is a period of transition which will smooth out the church experience for our children. I shudder to think of the messes I am leaving for my kids to clean up. But I take solace in the grace of God and I make it my goal not to pass on a heritage of my own achieved perfection, but the ministry of reconciliation that (whether it always realised it or preached it or not) has been the beating heart of the evangelical church all along.

10 comments:

Jon Coutts said...

i came on here to post my "story" only to realise scott just did as well. i guess the overlap is inevitable. anyway, make sure you read the next post too folks.

Colin Toffelmire said...

Your focus on guilt fascinates me. I guess when I really think about it I had a similar focus for portions of my Christian life. But somewhere along the way, I think mostly at my church's youth group, I was taught that guilt is self-destructive and that Christianity is about something other than guilt.

This is yet another interesting example of how our upbringings determine us.

Thanks for sharing about your "dark night of the soul." Too many of us pretend we don't or shouldn't have those. I'll probably post about it in my own intro, but I'm with you man. I think I came to the brink of my faith at around the same time as you, and maybe in for similar reasons. Also like you my academic experience was instrumental in the survival of my faith, though not nearly so much as my family and my church.

Anyways, I'm overjoyed you're here, and I think your comments on guilt have inspired a future question.

s$s said...

umm, hello all. I'm Jon's friend Matthew. I heard about this site from Jon's blog.

I'm a former-evangelical (former CBC student) turned atheist. But I assure you, I'm the gentlest of atheists.

Everything Jon said about guilt and fear resonated strongly with me. I think our stories are pretty similar, only I wasn't quite able to hold on to my faith like he was. I had to let go.

I'm pretty curious to see what's gonna happen with this page.

Anyway, hi!

Colin Toffelmire said...

Matthew, it's great that you're here. I'm very glad to have an atheistic voice, if for no other reason than to challenge and press Christian presuppositions. I'd love to know if there are any topics or questions that you'd like us to tackle together that resonate with you in particular. Things that you think are problematic or wrong-headed, or wrong-hearted, or just plain stupid about Christianity in general or Evangelicalism in particular. Actually this is something I'd love to hear from any of the "non-official" contributors here. I limited the contributors because, well hell cause you have to at some point. But I want to be clear that I'm equally interested in our commentators. If there are any questions or issues that you feel are important, or if there's something near and dear to your heart, throw it out there.

Anyways, glad you're here Matt, hope to see more of you.

s$s said...

Thanks for the welcome, Colin.

I don't know that I'll have much to contribute to this conversation, but who knows.

I'm interested in this conversation mostly because as far as I'm concerned people like the contributors to this site are the Good Guys in Christianity. Your attempt(s) to salvage evangelicalism or Christianity seem futile to me, but I'm SO glad you're doing it. The world needs more good Christians like you guys.

By turning away from Christianity I'm sure I inevitably threw some proverbial baby out with my bathwater. Maybe this site can help me get the baby back. Or maybe not. I dunno.

Colin Toffelmire said...

Thanks Matt, it's good to feel like someone's good guys. I know a lot of us feel a little ostracized from the Christian community at large (though I think that's mostly perception).

Your final comments about the baby and the bathwater are the reason I respect your choice to give up your faith. The fact that you acknowledge that there may have been a baby (are we talking about mangers or bathtubs now?) is what sets you apart from Richard Dawkins and his ilk. I have no respect for that branch of atheism and see it as little more than fundamentalism without an external god. I do, however, have a deep respect for people like you who realize that even the choice not to believe is based upon incomplete knowledge.

All of these decisions are choices. You can call them acts of faith or existential choices, but it comes to the same thing. We decide what we will believe.

s$s said...

Colin:

You said, "the choice not to believe is based upon incomplete knowledge."

Wow. Yeah. Exactly. That scares me.

Re: Dawkins. I once heard him referred to as the Jerry Falwell of atheism. I don't think that's too far off the mark. His tone, and his constant politicking, are pretty awful.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Colleen said...

Wow, I just spent half an hour writing a comment in response to what Matthew and Colin have been saying and when I went to publish it, had an error. GRRR.

The dormant fundy in me wants to rear its head and say that maybe God didn't want me to publish what I'd written. :o)

Either way, I don't have time to type it again, so maybe I'll have to come back later to do it.

Scott Street said...

Jon,

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate what you say, and agree with you (in my words) that we have to celebrate our journey (personally and the Church's journey). Church history isn't all pretty, but neither is my life. I wouldn't be me without the hardships I have faced. I guess mostly I wanted to affirm the positive - I've seen too many places where people just complain and never see the positive, or move forward. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Scott Street said...

hey Matt,

I wanted to post this comment separately from my first comment so it didn't get lost in the fray. Thanks for joining us. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Scott